Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Names Ending in -w

Image of a sparrow via Wikipedia

I saw a picture of Nicole Richie with her children, Harlow and Sparrow, and wondered how hard it would be to come up with another "ends in -w" name if they had any more. I mean, how many "ends in -w" names can there be? Thus the search began!

In comparison to other letters, there really aren't that many names including the letter "w" and even fewer that end with it. The following is what I found...

Here is a list of the names in the Top 1000 that end in -w with their 2012 ranks:

Boys
Matthew 12
Andrew 18
Drew 282
Mathew 425
Crew 768

Girls
Willow 171
Harlow 578
Meadow 951

Here are some less popular options that have been used in the United States:

Arrow
Barlow
Bartholomew
Bow
Darrow
Dow
Krew
Lew
Marlow
Morrow
Paw
Rainbow
Saw
Shadow
Shaw
Snow
Sparrow
Thurlow
Tomorrow
Trew
Winslow
Woodrow

Do you know any more? What do you think? Would you use a name that ends with -w?

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Yarrow would be a good addition to the list :)

    I love the idea of the name Tomorrow on a person! Just not sure how wearable it would actually be. Would make a great name in a sci-fi story though - as would Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrow & Shaw are on my list! Shaw is a top 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many of these are cool! Willow really is a favorite of mine but I'm afraid it will become trendy and dated in a few years. What do you think? I also love Arrow, Crew, Meadow,Tomorrow and Winslow.

    I had a friend when I was a kid named Yarrow - but I think it was spelled Yaro. I was intrigued by it back then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would add Mayhew, Bradshaw, Farrow, Lew, and various slavic names like Stanislaw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprised to see how this name has evolved in the years and yet remains so popular. I beleive choose the spelling your natives are comfortable in calling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. modern baby boy names

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see some amazingly important and kept up to length of your strength searching for in your on the site psd to responsive wordpress

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on this blog! Please remember that we are respectful of other people's opinions.